Benefits of Water Aerobics: Everything You Should Know
Many people view water aerobics as an easy sport, often associating it with the elderly performing slow exercises in the pool. However, swimming aerobics can be very useful for people of all ages and offers many unique advantages over traditional sports.
The benefits of water aerobics are plentiful. You’ll work out all your muscle groups, reduce strain on your joints, boost your stability, and add extra resistance based on your skill level.
But what is water aerobics? And is water aerobics a good form of exercise for you?
Let's explore below.
What is Water Aerobics?
Water aerobics, also known as aqua aerobics, is a type of exercise that's performed in shallow water. You should be able to stand, which is why this activity is most common in pools with a fixed depth.
During water aerobics, the weight of water adds resistance to your movements. This resistance creates one of the biggest physical benefits of aqua aerobics: it stimulates more muscle groups than regular exercise, even if the movements are otherwise similar.
Typically, water aerobics take place in a group setting and often combines dance or playful choreography with music. Water aerobics builds aerobic endurance by incorporating resistance training exercises that utilize the weight of the water.
How Your Body Responds to Aerobic Exercise
One of the main reasons so many people choose water aerobics as their exercise of choice is because the body responds so well to it.
In just 30 minutes, you can burn as many as 200 calories. While water aerobics burns fewer calories than more intense training regimens, it's an excellent choice if you want to take care of your body. The low impact and accessibility of water aerobics make it beneficial for people of all ages.
Aerobic exercises in the water will get your heart pumping, strengthen seldom-used muscle groups, and improve overall endurance and balance.
What Aerobic Exercise Does for Your Health
One of the main benefits of water exercise is the low impact it has on your joints. Even people with chronic joint conditions who can't perform certain rigorous activities don't have any trouble doing the same movements in water. There's simply not as much pressure, and the impact on the body is much lower.
When you perform aerobic exercises in water, your heart rate increases, strengthening your cardiovascular system, while the water pressure facilitates your blood flow.
Many people who are recovering from injuries use water aerobics as a starting point for engaging the weakened muscles in a safe and low-impact way.
This type of aerobic exercise can provide numerous benefits for your health, such as assisting with weight loss, stimulating your heart, and even strengthening your bones.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Water Aerobics
What is water aerobics good for? We already discussed some of the most significant benefits of water aerobics, but now let's go over a comprehensive list.
- Less Joint Pressure. Protecting your joints is essential; one of the main water workout benefits is the low impact. Your joints will feel healthy no matter what exercise you’re doing.
- Cools You Off. If you don't like getting too hot during exercise, water aerobics will help you stay cool and feel better after the workout.
- Increased Range of Motion. Because there's less pressure on the joints, maintaining balance is easier and you can push your range of motion a bit further.
- Resistance Training. Even though water makes some parts of the training more comfortable, the water's extra resistance will challenge you in new ways.
- Quickly Burn Calories. As far as the benefits of water aerobics go, it's quite effective at burning calories without overstraining you.
- Cardiovascular Strength. The aerobic principles of water workouts will work your cardiovascular system and make it stronger.
- Full-Body Workout. When you take part in water exercises, the balance and movement resistance will ensure that you work your entire body.
- Confidence Booster. When you're in the water, you can push yourself to do exercises you couldn't do otherwise, without much risk of injury.
- Make Friends. One of the often-overlooked benefits of water aerobics is that it's a social workout, meaning that you can meet like-minded people and make new friends.
- It's Fun. Finally, if you're like most people, splashing around in a pool will always beat running on a treadmill. It's simply more fun!
Why Choose Hermoza
There's no denying that the benefits of water aerobics make it one of the best ways to stay in shape and maintain your health. In order to take advantage of the benefits, you need to find swimwear that feels comfortable and moves with you.. Hermoza’s modest swimsuits for women give you the freedom to play, dance, and workout without worrying about slip-ups.
We have a wide range of swimwear for all tastes and preferences. Explore our online store, or contact us today to learn more!